Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bumbleberry Pie and Hill n' Hollow Farmstead

Last Friday, I went to M&T Bank's Second Friday at the Birchfield Penny Art Center. While there I got to taste and talk and network with other food and art lovers and it was the Hill n'Hollow Farmstead table that stopped me in my tracks. I spoke with the farm's owner Pat LaPoint about her products and how I'd like to blog about them if they might be interested, and she and her sister Mary Ann started telling me about their Blueberry vinegar and Elderberry Chipotle Sauce and made certain I had one of each before I left. Their farm sits not far from the Trappist Monks of the Genesee Abbey who are known locally for their Monk's Bread.

I came home with these two jars and faint idea of what to do with them. Then I remembered that I promised to make Bumbleberry pies for an event I am catering this coming Thursday for the Women's Society of UUCB.

Bumbleberry pie is a sweet tart of a fruit pie and usually has rhubarb, but as it's too early in the season for it, I substituted red pears it's place.






For the two pie recipe you'll need:
2 pie shells
3 tablespoon Blueberry vinegar
4 cups apples - peeled, cored and chopped


2 cups fresh rhubarb (or red pears)
2 cups fresh strawberries
2 cups fresh blueberries


2 cups fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice (keeps the apples from browning)
2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons tapioca


When the apples and pears were cut up, I turned them over in a large bowl with 1/2 cup ice cold water and the lemon juice. I then drained it well. All of the berries were washed well and the strawberries were cut into bite sized pieces.



I stacked them into a large container and poured the Blueberry vinegar on top.


I then added this to the bowl of fruit and stired it gently to mix together.


Then I mixed the flour, sugar, and granulated (not pearled) tapioca in a mixing bowl and pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees.


I stirred the dry ingredients in with the fruit.


Dished the fruit mix evenly between the pie shells.


Baked them for 50 minutes, turning the pans around at the 25 minute mark for even baking.


I tossed the leaves and skins in the compost pile and admired the flurry of butterflies.



The pie jelled beautifully and I'm certain it'll be a hit at the luncheon!

No comments:

Post a Comment