Monday, January 20, 2014

Stand Fast Farm Beef Heart Stuffed with Barley Pearls

During my interview with Stand Fast Farms, Tim heard how I loved barley stuffed hearts and included two in a bag of different cuts to sample. The package I used revealed a well cleaned and trimmed heart that unfurled, the excess strands within the chambers had been removed and made preparing the organ so much quicker.

I washed it gently, but thoroughly with salt water and patted it dry. It was then laid flat, chambers facing up, in an 11 x 9 pan.


In a large pan I cooked sliced leeks in 2 tbls bacon fat and crisps. Then in a medium sauce pot I added this to the bottom of the pot and pureed it smooth, adding a fist full of fresh dill as I smoothed it down. I then added 2 tbls of barley flour to thicken, and slowly beat in water to create a gravy.






In another pan I started 1 1/2 cups of barley pearls in three cups of water. Brought it to a boil and then turned it down low, covered and allowed to cook until all of the water was absorbed. I then blended the gravy in to the barley and poured it over the heart. It was then baked for 15 minutes at 400*.

I sliced it and served it with hearts of romaine and cucumbers with homemade ranch dressing made with herbs from our hanging garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment